Keep in mind that half of the world lives on less than $2.50 a day.
One 2012 update, from this Fox Sports slideshow
- 1.25 billion hot wings will be consumed. Those would come from 312.5 million chickens that would feed, that's right, 1.25 billion people.
- A 30 second commercial during the Super Bowl will cost $3,000,000.
- A ticket on the 50-yard line, lower level, costs almost $16,000
- 106.5 million people watched the Super Bowl last year on CBS.
- 8 million pounds of popcorn will be consumed, 28 million pounds of chips, 53.5 million pounds of avocados for guacamole requiring a total of 222,792 football fields worth of farmland to grow.
- 325.5 million gallons of beer will be drank which would fill 493 Olympic-sized swimming pools.
- $3,000,000 would provide hospice care for those dying of HIV/AIDS over four years in Uganda, or vaccinate 3 million children for measles across Africa, or provide mosquito nets, better access to medications, and free HIV/AIDS testing in Rwanda. (That's only three ads right there)
- 75% of the world makes less than the cost of that football ticket... in ten years. (according to the Global Rich List)
- Up to 10,000 adult and underage girls are expected to be sex-trafficked to Dallas-Fort Worth [Indianapolis this year]
- 223,000 acres of corn would feed 25,000 people for a year (according to rough calculations from this site).
- 325.5 million gallons would give enough potable water to 616 million people for a day, or enough for 1.7 million people for a year. (This is only a dent, though, as 1 billion people are without drinkable water)